Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sadness and Hope

The kids and I have been following the blog of a two year old girl named Layla Grace Marsh. She had Stage 4 Neuroblastoma cancer. We would check her blog daily and pray for her and her family at night. This girl's situation really hit home for me because Layla is Dylan's age and one of her sister's is Scout's age. We found out yesterday that Layla lost her fight with cancer and passed away. When I told Scout about it she was very upset and cried for a long time. I found myself laying in bed with her, holding her while she cried and trying to answer questions like-"Why did God let her get cancer?" and "Why did God let her suffer so much?". These are questions I wrestle with myself and I felt extremely unqualified to be answering them.
In the few short months we followed the blog, I began to love my kids deeper, hold them and kiss them more, was more patient with them, and spoke to God and about God more to my kids. It is amazing how one person who I didn't even meet could do such a thing. I talked to Scout about God's plan for each of us, and how maybe it was God's purpose for Layla to come to earth to impact so many people through her illness. I told her that our goal is to glorify God and that when we get to heaven it is our hope that God will say to us-"Well done good and faithful servant." I think through these discussions Scout is really starting to get it.........maybe it is sinking in that we are here to make a positive impact on the people around us in the name of Jesus Christ.
After the tears dried up, Scout said she wanted to take all her piggy bank money and donate it to neuroblastoma research (we have learned that this type of cancer is extremely under-researched). She said she wanted to tell Layla's story over and over again to people around her and hopefully they would feel compelled to give as well. She went to school this morning with a plan to organize a fundraiser for Layla and her disease. I emailed her teacher last night to give her a head's up- I got a response back this morning that her school would support Scout's efforts! I am so proud of her. Lately I have been thinking about the kids and how it has been the pleasure of my life to be their mom.

1 comment:

  1. I like reading your posts when I can. I'm sorry about this little girls life ending way too soon. You are right, events like this do help us to see what is really important. Our view of God is varied according to what type of teaching we come in contact with and of course our own experiences with the Lord. Maybe we can get into this a little more the next time we talk and I'll share with you how I approach things like this with my kids. Let Scout know that she is doing exactly what the Lord would do and that is to take a very sad situation and bring out the best possible good. In doing that, she becomes an example of the love of God. Oh, I could go on and on BUT I need to make dinner for my family!! Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete